Tuesday, October 2, 2012

We're Moving....

So, a few months ago I posted this.  In that post, I said we weren't moving, we were staying and we were going to decorate our house.  That we had abandoned the idea of moving, we were going to finish the basement, and had bought insulation to put up in the basement.  We had bought more plants for the backyard, we were back into our routine. Life was getting back to normal.

Fast forward to July, and we have re-listed the house for sale.  So, what has changed in that time?  Nothing really in that my husband continued to look for acreage, but a lot in that he found a builder that would build us an amazing house on acreage that fits within our budget.


We found 1.24 acres just three miles from where we currently live.  It is flat and long and skinny and has a lot of potential!  We found a house plan that we LOVE!   It has all of the requirements that we wanted in a house, and a lot of character.

We decided that we were going to try and find the builder, and make sure that everything fit in our budget before we even thought of listing our house for sale.  The last go-round of selling our house was very emotional and stressful.  It is so difficult to keep the house clean with kids, so we wanted to make sure that all was well and figured out before we went down that path again.  Not to mention the toll it took on Byron and I looking, falling in love with houses (or more often than not being disappointed by the inventory) and then having those houses go under contract before we could sell ours.

It all worked out and we listed the house the Friday we left for Illinois.   While we were in Illinois and got the call from our Realtor that we had an offer on the house.  We were thrilled and after 6 weeks of back and forth, we were officially out of the Clarkson house.

It was a bittersweet move for me.  I am so excited to start this journey with Byron.  This is what he does for a living, he dealing with the building department, he keeps people on track with the deadlines, with the budget, this is what he is good at.  He has always said that he wanted to live on acreage, and I love being out with space around my house.  I love that we will have room (plenty of it!) for the kids to run and explore and not have it be near or on a busy street.  I love that we will have room for a vegetable garden for me, since I started getting my green thumb.  I love that we will be able to the the first owners of this house, we will know everything about this house, we will have touched and watched and decided on every aspect of this house.

I am sad that B and I are leaving the first house that we bought as a married couple.  I am sad that I am leaving the house that we brought our children home to.  This is the only house that they have known, and although I know they are young and probably won't remember it, they do remember their neighborhood friends.  It was a beautiful house, it met everyone of our needs, except the bigger yard and garage space.  We had put so much work, blood, sweat and tears in that house.  It's so hard to walk away and close the door.

The kids have done well in adjusting to moving.  In the beginning, Carter would say that Grandma was mean for taking his toys away from his house and keeping them at hers.  He would want to know when we could go home - not to Grandma and Umpa's home, but our home.  It has been a month and they now call the Clarkson house their "old home" and now call my parents house home.  This first month has flown by and my parents are so generous in letting us stay here while the new house is built.  Still, it is hard to drive by Clarkson Ct and not look down and think it so weird that the house we called a home for 7 years has some other family living there.

B was right though, a house is a house.  Haylee, Carter, Byron and I together are what makes it a home....for now, my parents house is our home, and I can't wait to make our new house our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment