Saturday, September 17, 2011

So Proud....

I have been forcing my mom into athletic events all year long - the Stair Climb in February and then the Outdoor DIVAS triathlon in August.  She has been a great sport in this, and still talks to me, so I don't think she is too upset with me for signing her up!

On August 14th, it was time for the Outdoor DIVAS triathlon.  I was so excited, and more for my mom than for myself.  I was so excited for her because I know that she had been training and I wanted her to see how physically strong she is and can be.

I picked her up bright and early and off we went to Union Reservoir.


Thankfully, awesome Toni Wehman was already at the race and had saved us a spot for our bikes.

The three of us before the race.
My mom had a HUGE cheering section - my dad, two brothers, cousin Meredith, Grandma, Kimberly and Raleigh and then Byron and my kids, and of course MVC (most valuable cheerleader) Andrea.  Such a great turn out to support us women as we did the race.


No laughing - NOBODY looks good in wetsuits or swim caps!
We got dressed in our wetsuits and then headed down to the beach.  I was in the first wave, Toni's wave was 4th to go off and my mom's wave was last.  Sorry - I don't have any shots of Toni during the swim part.  


I couldn't find my bike once I get into the transition area, so that slowed me down.  Off on the bike we go!


I was coming in on my bike when mom was leaving.  It was so nice that I was able to see her on the bike.  I cheered her on as she pedaled off.   Here we are starting our run/walk!


I saw Toni on the run so we high-fived each other.  Toni did great!  Here is a shot of the three of us crossing the finish line!




I am so proud of the three of us for finishing this race.  I am most proud of my mom though.  She did great in training for this triathlon, but actually doing the tri with the events back to back to back is such a huge demand on your body.  She never gave up.  She finished every part of this race and I am so proud of her!  She said that she wants to do this Tri again next year so she can better her time.  I am game for that!  I think that I have a new tri buddy!  Here's to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment