Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tri Training

So, I've had the Triathlon sign thing on the right side of the blog up since January stating that I am and have been training for the triathlon.  I must say, I have done so much better this year in getting myself prepared for the SheROX triathlon.  I have swam several times and have swam the half mile a few times.  Did I have to stop and take a breather here and there, heck yes, but the more times I went swimming the fewer and fewer the breaks became!  I am happy to report that I can do pretty well in the swim now!

About a month ago, Byron and I decided that we were feeling blah because we really don't have time to work out anymore. I have been attempting to work out (ie run or swim) over my lunch hour, but it just didn't always work out that way.  Poor Byron doesn't even get a lunch some days, so for him to work out over the lunch hour is impossible.  So, we decided to look around our neighborhood for a running route that is long enough to get a good workout but short enough that both of us can do the run and it not take all night.  The inner loop of our development is 2 miles, so we lucked out there!

For the past four weeks, we have done extremely well in going running every night after the kids have gone to bed. We decided that we would make it our goal to run 5 days a week and to take two nights off.  I can say that this has helped me significantly in feeling better, sleeping better, and my body firming up more.   We haven't skipped a night yet, even running in the rain some nights!  Now that we have the running in our routine, I think we are going to attempt to add Convict Conditioning to our workouts.  Wish us luck on that - Convict Conditioning is an incredibly intense body weight workout program.

Byron and I have also done really well in biking more with the kids.  I am so happy that the kids LOVE going for bike rides at night.  We usually bike around the neighborhood and then stop at a park for them to play on. We usually end up biking around 5 miles when we go with the kids.

I am not good at biking.  My legs just don't have the strength that I think they need to go really far distances.  Thankfully the distance in the tri is only 10 miles, and I have done a 6 mile loop by our house a few times, so I think I will do ok with the 10 miles.

I've done pretty good in my training and I am feeling ready to go when the race comes.  Oh, did I mention that the race is THIS SUNDAY!?  Eeek...I'm not feeling THAT ready!  I am very excited that my wonderful husband will be there to support me and that my parents have offered to keep the kids overnight so we don't have to wake them up before the sun!  The transition area opens up at 5:30am and the race starts at 7:00!!!  Byron and I have to leave our house so early to get there and get all of my stuff set up before the race!

I tried to upload  the course map but for some reason it won't let me (shocking...I can't figure out my computer!)

On another note - my mom has begun her training for the Boulder DIVA'S triathlon!  I am so excited for her. We went this past weekend and got her all decked out in triathlon gear!  The Boulder tri is in 5 weeks....I am very proud of her for embarking on this!  Competing in a triathlon is a huge accomplishment and I hope when she crosses the finish line she has that feeling.  It doesn't matter how quickly she does it, as long as she finishes it without giving up!

Byron is supposed to be taking pictures on Sunday, so once I recover I will post on how I did in the race!

1 comment: