Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Love me my Cricut....

An early Christmas present (back in September!) from my parents was the Cricut Expression.  I got the conservative machine which does 6x12 cut outs.  For those who don't know what the Cricut is, here is a brief rundown.  It is a machine that cuts out shapes and fonts on either fabric, vinyl, or card stock.  You then purchase different cartridges that have said shapes and fonts on them.  I used mine a TON when I did Carter's 1st year scrapbook.  I also used it to cut out letters in vinyl for our kitchen.

I had been bugging Byron that I needed (yes, needed, not just wanted) more cartridges to go with my machine.  I scoured Craigslist and found a Gypsy that had 35 different cartridges with it.  Now a Gypsy is a machine that looks similar to a Nintendo Gameboy, but stores up at 7,000 cartridges on it.  You can use the screen on the gypsy to create layouts using ALL of your cartridges.  You can take images and fonts from different cartridges, and design on one single layout.  As my current Cricut machine sits, I have to use a single cartridge cut out the image/font, and then put in another cartridge, get that image/font and cut it out, then assemble it all onto a separate page.  As one can imagine, this is a time consuming process, and often times I forget what size I used on a particular font. The gypsy solves that issue since you can save your layout!

I haven't quite gotten the hang of accessing all of the cartridges on the Gypsy and creating that way, but what I did get to use was a card making cartridge.   There are so many different types of cards AND envelopes that you can create.  I tested my abilities for Landon's 2nd birthday.  I think it turned out pretty well!






I glued the envelope to his present and then used a font cartridge to cut out the "to Landon" letters.  I was so excited to make the card!

Can't wait, and now that the holidays have settled down; to really learn how to use the Gypsy and Cricut machine to their fullest potential!

Stay tuned for the next project!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment