Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tri Tri Again

There are some DA's at work that did a Sprint Triathlon last year. Because I was 7 months pregnant at the time of the Tri, I told them I would pass, but would definitely do it this year. Well, come January, Toni began talking to me about doing the She ROX Triathlon in Aurora. It is an all female triathlon set for the end of June. I told her yes, I was totally interested, but not completely....I was terrified of competing in a Tri.

The Sprint Tri is a 1/2 mile swim, a 12 mile bike and then a 3.1 mile run. I knew I had the run down, no concerns there, but the swim is what terrified me more.

Toni kept coming to me and asking if I had started training, if I had registered, etc. I kept telling her no, I hadn't done either and that I was scared. I kept delaying, giving her reasons as to why I couldn't/didn't want to do it. She promised me that if she could survive the Tri last year, surely I could survive and do well in the Tri.

I finally registered and competed in the Tri. My overall goal: Finish without having to stop. My goal was accomplished. It wasn't pretty before, during or after, but I finished. I did the swim in 29 minutes, the bike in 1 hour and 1 minute (ouch, I know, that is TERRIBLE!) and the run in 31 minutes. I had a GREAT time of ladies cheering me on the entire way, and I know that I couldn't have done it without them. They truly are a great bunch of women who are so strong both physically and mentally. I can't thank them enough for their support, because I really wouldn't have made it through without them.

Toni and the other girls said that I would get addicted to competing in Triathlons....they were right. There is nothing like saying that you have completed a Triathlon, and I will definitely be doing them every year from here on out. My goal for next year: improve my times...shouldn't be too hard to do!

Here is a video that Toni and her partner (and most valuable cheerleader!) Andrea put together! Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. A) Where's the video?
    B) I NEVER got addicted . . . even with the bucket of ice cream at the end as an incentive . . . however I will say that I do enjoy most running events, and the Muddy Buddy is a fun one . . .
    C) Maybe I'll talk you into that one next year, eh?! (raised eyebrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so saw the video; so cool! You girls did ROCK! :)

    I am SO proud of you Megan; you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete